- 6 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sorghum
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Demerara or turbinado (raw) sugar
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 4 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sorghum or maple syrup
For the Ginger Cookies:
1. In a mixing bowl beat the butter, sugar and egg until light and fluffy. Slowly add the rest of the ingredients except the demerara sugar until mixed well. Shape the dough into logs and chill 30 minutes.
2. Cut the dough into 1-inch slices and coat with the cane sugar. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with more demerara sugar when hot. When cool, pipe or spoon filling in between 2 cookies for a cookie sandwich, if desired.
Sorghum Cream Filling:
1. In large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well on medium speed. Add sorghum, beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.