Around the holidays there are house guests to be fed. Here are six recipes to start or end the weekend great.
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 small leek, minced
- 2 roasted garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup cream
- 2 ounces gruyere (or swiss) cheese, cubed
- 3 ounces american cheese, cubed
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1/2 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon horseradish
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup stoned grounded grits
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded white cheddar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground ground pepper
- 4 cups swiss chard or kale, sautéed
- 6 eggs cooked over easy
For Beer Cheese Sauce
1. In a saucepan, melt butter and saute leeks in saucepan until translucent. Add roasted garlic. Add flour and whisk well, cook on low heat for two minutes whisking continuously. Add beer and simmer on low until thickened.
2. Microwave cream for 30 seconds or until warmed. Add cream and cheeses to beer mixture, stirring frequently and cooking on low until cheese is entirely melted into mixture. Add mustard and horseradish and salt to taste.
For Grits Cake
1. To prepare grits, bring milk and water to a boil in large saucepan. Add grits, stir well. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir occasionally for 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheese, salt, and pepper. Pour onto a 9 x9 greased baking dish. Let cool.
2. Cut grits into 9 squares. Saute in butter in a skillet until browned. Place 1/2 cup warm beer cheese sauce on plate, top with a grit cake, saut.ed chard, and a sunny side up egg. Serves 6.