- Crush 1/4 of the berries with the sugar to creat a kind of thick syrup. Add lemon juice and remaining sliced berries and toss to combine. Let sit for an hour before assembly.
Cream Cheese Poundcake
- Preheat oven to 350F. Beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Add scraped vanilla seeds. Add flour and salt, mixing until just combined.
- Butter 2 loaf pansand dust with flour. Distribute batter evenly between two pans, and bake until a toothpick inserted comes out almost clean, about 60-80 minutes. Cook cakes in pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto a rack and cool completely.
- Whip cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla and whip until soft peaks return. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Audra's Pro Tips:
- Make sure ingredients (butter, eggs) for the pound cake are room temperature for optimum rising.
- Slit the vanilla bean with a sharp knife to scrape beans out for the pound cake, then drop remaining bean into a jar of vodka, let stand in dark place for 2 months, for homemade vanilla extract.
- Roll the lemon on a table to loosen membranes to get the most juice out of a it.