- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon & 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender (optional)
- 8 ounces butter, cold & cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 9 ounces buttermilk
- 6 ounces fresh blackberries (or raspberries or blueberries)
- 1/4 cup cream or half & half
- raw sugar to top scones
- whipped cream for serving (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lavender.
3. Add cold cubed butter to the dry mixture. Cut butter with a pastry blender or rub in with your fingers, until the largest pieces are the size of small peas.
4. Pour buttermilk over the flour mixture and stir together gently with a fork until the dough almost comes together. There should still be some flour in the bottom of the bowl. Add blackberries and lightly knead dough together to incoporate berries. Note: Some berries should remain whole.
5. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 9 inch round disc. Cut into 12 triangles or use a 2 inch round biscuit cutter and place on a parchment lined baking sheet at least 2 inches apart. Brush tops of the scones with cream or half & half and sprinkle with raw sugar.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from the tray. Serve warm with fresh whipped cream.