- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) butter
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) shortening (Crisco)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour a 6-8 cup tube or bundt pan.
2. Sift together flour, cornmeal, salt and nutmeg. Beat butter, shortening and sugar in a mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Gradually add flour to creamed mixture beating just until batter is blended. Scrape into prepared pan. Bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert onto rack Dust with powered sugar. Serves 12-16.