This vegetarian recipe uses creamy ricotta cheese (preferably whole milk), most any cheese, and whatever herbs are in your garden--in our case, basil, parsley and chives. Pesto would be terrific in...
- 1 ½ teaspoons each salt, paprika, thyme leaves, garlic powder,
- ¾ teaspoons each ground cumin, white pepper, and onion powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 chicken quarter (or 2 chicken thighs)
- 8 cups water (or 8 cups chicken stock)
- 8 ounces ground sausage
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 ½ cups chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 1 pound crab meat and shrimp (total)
The joy of gumbo is that it welcomes most any ingredient. You can use premade chicken broth, or make a quick stock with the chicken that you use for the gumbo (as I did here), or use half chicken and half shrimp stock. Serve over rice for a hearty one-dish meal.
- Combine ingredients for seasoning mix.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven. Add chicken. Saute until browned on both sides. Remove chicken from pan to a large saucepan. Add 8 cups water to cover chicken, and simmer 1 hour. Drain, reserve stock and bone chicken, reserving meat.
- Add sausage to reserved drippings in the Dutch oven, and sauté until browned and almost done. Remove sausage.
- Add flour ¼ cup at a time to Dutch oven drippings stirring until smooth. Cook roux until browned and a deep caramel color, about 5-6 minutes. Add onion, pepper, celery, parsley, and 2 tablespoons seasoning mix. Whisk well and cook 10 minutes.
- Add stock to dutch oven, whisking well and cook 20 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken, sausage, and seafood and cook 10 minutes