Fresh Georgia peaches sub for vine-ripened tomatoes in this classic salad. I like to reduce some good-quality balsamic vinegar to add gooey, tart, sweet flavor. One caveat, open a window or prepare th...
- 1 pound red beets (about 5 medium)
- 1 pound golden beets (about 5 medium)
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 shallot
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil and place in oven in a roasting pan. Roast beets for about 1 hour, until they are knife tender. Let cool. Rub off skins and slice.
- Place garlic and shallot in a blender or food processor. Pulse until chopped. Add basil leaves and vinegar. Pulse again. Slowly add oil, processing until smooth. Add salt. Stack beets, tomato and mozzarella slices. Drizzle with vinaigrette.