- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh blood orange, tangerine, grapefruit or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 tablespoons grated citrus zest
- 24 pre-made, store bought tartlet shells
- 3-4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
1. In the top of a double boiler or a heatproof glass bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water whisk together quickly the eggs, sugar, blood orange juice & lemon juice. Using the whisk stir mixture for about 10 minutes constantly.
2. Remove from the heat & pour mixture through a sieve to remove any lumps. Whisk the butter pieces into the mixture until well blended & smooth. Stir in the zest. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap touching the surface of the curd allowing it to cool for 30 minutes.
3. While curd is cooling place tartlet shells on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Turn oven to broil.
4. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Sprinkle sugar over whites & continue to beat until glossy. Fill each tartlet shell with curd & top with a generous free-form dollop of meringue.
5. Pop tray of meringue topped tartlets in the oven…keeping a close eye…and brown the meringues until light golden. This should only take a minute or two.