- 3 cups penne pasta (dry)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces Italian pancetta (or ham)
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ cup vodka or white wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes in puree
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- fresh basil
1. Boil pasta in salty water until al dente; drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Heat skillet over medium/high; drizzle with olive oil and add pancetta. Cook until crispy, about 5 minutes. Add onions and sauté 10 minutes or until translucent.
2. Carefully add vodka, (will flame up) scraping up browned bits (deglazing) on bottom of pan. Add tomatoes; reduce heat to low, and cook about 5 minutes. Slowly add heavy cream, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add pasta and starchy water to the tomato sauce, stirring to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for 5 minutes allowing pasta to absorb some of the sauce. Serve with parmesan, basil, and a drizzle of olive oil.