- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch (~1/8 teaspoon) nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups milk, at room temp
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs (preferably farm fresh)
- 1 1/2 teapsoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 2 cups congectioners' sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 2-3 tablespoons beet juice (*optional)
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (unrefined)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray doughnut pans with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
Melt butter and coconut oil in glass bowl; whisk in sugar and milk. Add one egg at a time, whisking until thoroughly incorporated. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk the spelt and all-purpose flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together until combined.
Pour wet ingredients into bowl with dry ingredients and mix until batter is well combined (but not overly mixed).
Spoon 1/2 of the batter into a gallon ziplock bag (or a piping bag) and cut a 1/2 inch opening from one of the corners (or a tip) to pipe the batter into the donut molds, filling them 3/4 of the way to the top.
Bake donuts 8 minutes or until done and passes the toothpick test (make sure to not overbake). Set aside to cool completely.
Meanwhile, prep the glaze. For the beet-colored option, whisk confectioners' sugar, milk, and beet juice together until thoroughly combined. For the chocolate version, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds and stir; then microwave in 15 second increments, stirring in between, until fully melterd.
Dip donuts into glaze and enjoy!