- 1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes (San Marzano brand, preferably), drained
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oIl
- 1/2 cup polenta or cornmeal
- 2 cups lightly salted water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups warm polenta
- 1½ cups roasted tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 12 organic eggs
- 1½ cups pecorino or Parmesan cheese
1. To prepare tomatoes: preheat oven to 350°F. Put tomatoes in nonreactive roasting pan. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and toss. Bake 30 minutes or until tomatoes start to char.
2. To prepare polenta, bring water to a boil, slowly add polenta, whisking constantly to prevent lumping. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 30-45 minutes or until thick. Add butter, cheese, and cream, stirring gently. (Can be made ahead and stored in refrigerator for up to 3 days).
3. To assemble egg skillets, preheat oven to 400°F. In a skillet, add ½ cup warm polenta, top with 2 tablespoons roasted tomatoes, ¼ teaspoon chili flakes, and a few slices of onion. Crack 2 eggs over tomatoes, cover with ¼ cup cheese, and bake 12 minutes or until whites are firm.