Prima Chef Sal Avila demonstrated this satisfying dish at the Edible Kitchen January 21, 2017.
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk (we used whole)
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) grated Romano cheese (or cheddar or cheese of choice)
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Cut Butternut squash in half. Place cut sides down in pan. Add water to 1-inch. Bake 45-55 minutes or until tender (skin will be browned and bubbly). Let cool. Remove squash pulp with a spoon (should have about 2 cups pulp), discarding seeds and skin (perfect for compost).
2. Place squash in a saucepan. Add chicken stock, mash, and cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until heated through. Reduce heat, add milk and cheese. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy. Cook until heated. Eat.