How to Grill a Better Burger
The grilling gurus over at Ted's Montana Grill share with us some of their best tips for grilling a better burger. Try applying these techniques to the Tennessee Burger recipe below!
· Prep: Preheat grill to medium high. If using a charcoal grill, have one hot side and one side for indirect cooking. If using a gas grill, use all burners to increase the heat to the correct temperature, then shut off one section when ready to cook. The grill is ready for the burger once the internal temperature reaches 375 degrees. Lightly oil the grates. Form the ground meat, beef or bison into a loose patty. It should have rough edges and should never be compacted or overworked, but not too loose-packed that it will fall apart on the grill.
· Season: Holding the burger over the grill, use your favorite blend of salt, herbs, and spices to season the raw side of the burger. Once on the grill, season the other side of the burger. By seasoning over the grill, the excess seasoning hits the hot grates or charcoal and lets all the neighbors know you are grilling up something great!
· Cook: Cover the grill. Cook the burger halfway to the desired internal temperature (3-4 minutes), uncover and gently flip the burger, then move it to the cooler side. Never press the burger with the spatula, as this will force all the juices out of the burger! When the burger is flipped, lightly season the burger a third time with your desired seasoning. Cover the grill and cook for 2 minutes.
· Serve: Uncover the grill, add your choice of cheese if desired, and cover the grill again. When the cheese has melted, about 2 additional minutes, uncover the grill. Bison burgers shouldn’t be cooked past medium or medium rare since it is such a lean protein. When the burger reaches the appropriate internal temperature of 140 degrees, remove the burger from the grill and place on the bottom of a toasted bun. Finish with desired toppings and enjoy!
Consider using Bison! Bison is the new health food. As demand continues to grow, so has the awareness that bison is best for you compared to other proteins. The only better reason to order bison from our menu is the tremendous flavor.
• Natural: Bison are handled as little as possible. They are never subjected to hormones or steroids. That guarantees that it’s one of the most natural proteins available.
• Nutrient Rich: Bison is higher in iron than any other meat, making it one of the healthiest diet choices you can make.
• Lean: Bison is extremely lean at 2.4 grams of fat per 3.5 oz. of meat. That makes it the leanest protein you can find including beef, pork, chicken and salmon.
• Flavor: Rich, tender and mildly sweeter than beef. That’s the remarkable taste profile of bison, making it ideal for everything from burgers to steaks.